UMD Solar Co-op
Thank you for your interest in the solar group purchase! Registration is now closed (as of 6/30/14). 145 people "raised their hands" for solar! More updates to come as the group progresses!
Members of the UMD and College Park community are organizing a neighborhood solar co-op!
What is a neighborhood solar co-op?
A neighborhood solar co-op is when community members form a group and use their collective buying power to save on the total cost of going solar. The group uses a competitive bidding process to select a single company that will install systems on all of the participating homes. Each participant signs his or her own contract with the installer, but everyone gets the bulk discount.
By going solar as a group we can save 30% off the cost of a solar system. You'll also have the support of the group instead of navigating an often-complicated process alone. Homeowners in College Park and the DC metro area are encouraged to join the group!
How much does it cost?
The cost of going solar has come down significantly in the last few years. This table gives an estimated cost for a 5 kW system. Keep in mind your system may be larger or smaller than 5 kW, depending on the size of your roof, resulting in differing total costs.
- 03/29 - Good Neighbor Day
- 04/04 - Info Meeting on campus 12:30-1:30pm AV Williams Building, room 2460
- 04/14 - Request For Proposals (RFP) issued to area installers
- 04/16 - Info Meeting in community 7-8:30pm City Hall Council Chambers, 2nd floor
- 04/28 - Bids due from area installers
- 05/05 - Selection Committee meets to choose installer for group. Once selected, installer begins visiting homes to provide quotes (reflecting group discount). Sign-ups remain open for one additional month.
- 06/02 - Info meeting 7pm in College Park’s City Hall Council Chambers (4500 Knox Rd, 2nd floor) Click here for the facebook event
- 06/30 - Deadline to sign up to participate
- 07/31 - Deadline to sign contract with installer
- TBD - Party to celebrate everybody’s new solar installations!
I have more questions
Check out the following resources to learn more about the solar co-op:
- Info sheet (cost breakdown and overview of the co-op process that you can print out or send to friends!)
- FAQ sheet (detailed information about solar technologies, the co-op process, and how to pay for your system)
- Presentation (powerpoint detailing the process and CPN's experience)
- Letter of Commitment (explains process and permits CPN to issue RFP on group's behalf. Participants are asked to sign)
- Email us your specific questions at UMDBulkPurchase@communitypowernetwork.com.
- The group has selected MD-based Astrum Solar to be complete the installations
- We're in the press! Diamondback (5/6), Diamondback (3/24) and PGCTV