Nebraskans for Solar
Nebraskans for Solar (NFS) is incorporated as a public interest, nonprofit organization. Our mission is to provide solar energy installations to low-income residents and nonprofit organizations in Nebraska and to develop a Solar Schools Program in our state. We encourage community-based and other cooperative solar projects throughout the state.
Our objectives are to:
- raise funds for solar installations for low-income households
- raise funds to develop Solar Schools
- lower energy costs for low-income homeowners, schools, and other nonprofits
- support local economies through green jobs training and development
- educate the general public and school-age children about solar energy and how it benefits homeowners, businesses, nonprofits, the environment, and our communities
- help reduce greenhouse gas emissions and other forms of air pollution
Low-income families spend more of their income on energy than everyone else, 25 to 30% on average. Providing them the means to generate their own clean, renewable energy is a powerful tool for community economic development and poverty mitigation. A Solar Schools Program in our state will provide school age children and the general public with much-needed educational opportunities. Currently, less than 1/2% of energy generated in Nebraska comes from the sun, even though our state’s potential is great.